- The Milky Way Galaxy is quite flat – a hundred times wider than it is deep.
- The Earth’s age is 18 galactic years, which means it has done 18 laps around the galaxy
The galactic year, also known as a cosmic year, is the duration of time required for the Sun to orbit once around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. Estimates of the length of one orbit range from 225 to 250 million terrestrial years. Galactic year – Wikipedia
- At the center of the milky way is a big black hole; we haven’t actually seen it, but we’ve named it: Sagittarius A*.
- The Milky Way has an expiration date. About four billion years from now, our galaxy will crash into the Andromeda Galaxy
- Our sun is one of hundreds of billions just in the Milky Way. Wwe’re not sure how many hundreds of billions. Probably a few.
I picked up these facts from a National Geographic article by